Friday 18 December 2015

Peapod in Purple

The last commission before Christmas (I hope) was one of my signature peapod pendants. I know a lot of people have come up with similar designs over the years but I have been making them to my own design for at least the last decade. The reason I have made so many of these is that for the last 13 years I've been working in pea genetics and all but one of the pods have gone to ex-colleagues as leaving presents. The only problem has been making sure that the pods are fairly correct botanically, and fit the research... thus this one, for a student working on gene expression in pod tissue, had to be purple, for the mutation she was investigating. The peas and the calyx had to be green however

Luckily I had just the right colours of freshwater pearls and cylinder beads on hand to make 'Becky's Purple Pod'


I've just sent it off to my old project leader so she can pass it on.
I wonder if I'll still be making these now I've left the group...somehow I think I will as they are very satisfying to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment